Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers
Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Tuesday, September 22, 2009

You're Not Shaken

I've been hearing this song on the radio and had to post it. I don't necessarily like the song itself that much (apparently the artist was on American Idol at one point but got voted off) but I do like the words. It makes me cry every time. I think one of the reasons that music is so powerful is because you can convey emotions that wouldn't necessarily be conveyed otherwise. I love the unmasked honesty in this song as the bewilderment of tragedy rises up in questions for God. It reminds me of the Psalms which are filled with real struggles to reconcile the terrible things that happen in life with God's goodness ("How could this be from your hand?"). It would be a lie to say that my faith hasn't felt paper thin at times and so the image of the "walls of belief crashing down like sand" resonates with me as does the simultaneous recognition that God is present still and unshaken. When everything in life is falling apart and falling down around you (even, seemingly, your faith) it is never more evident that the only thing standing firm is the Lord. He is the only thing we can and should hold on too. A very painful lesson to learn but the most important one of all.

You can click this link to hear the song-

http://www.imeem.com/artists/phil_stacey/music/ClRcwLhW/phil-stacey-youre-not-shaken/

Phil Stacey - You're Not Shaken

I am sinking in a river that is raging
I am drowning, will I ever rise to breathe again
I want to know why I just want to understand
Will I ever know why
How could this be from Your hand

When every little thing that I had dreamed would be
Just slips away like water through my hand
And when it seems the walls of my belief are crashing down
Like they're all made of sand
I won't let go of You now, because I know You're not shaken

I'm trembling in the darkness of my own fear
All the questions with no answers still grip me while
I'm here And I may never know why I may not understand
But I will lift up my eyes And trust this is Your plan

When I am in the valley of the shadow of death
You're not shaken, You're not shaken

You're right here beside me and
You have never left
You're not shaken, You're not shaken

No comments:

Post a Comment