Many people have asked us how we chose the name Rylan Cade. Early in my pregnancy my aunt gave us a book of baby names and I basically combed through the boy section to find names that we liked. We didn't want to use a family name, a name that was too common or a name that was too unusual. The fact that Rylan was not listed in the Top 100 names of 2008 was a positive. Pretty early on we decided on Rylan and also decided to keep it a secret. In hindsight I think it is so special that just Joe and I were calling him that all along while he was in my womb. The middle name was harder to decide on and was only finalized about a month before he was born.
While we picked the names because of how they sounded the meanings also proved to be significant. Rylan means "field where Rye grows" and if I had never moved to Rye, NY I never would have met Joe and we never would have had Rylan. Cade means "battler" and our tiny boy did put up a brave battle for 24 hours until the infection was just too overwhelming.
A friend shared the following beautiful observation on the significance of names in a recent email:
I was so sad when I heard about Rylan. In the first weeks of their lives we were presented with information about [our children's] health that caused me to cry uncontrollably. I can not imagine the type of grief you are experiencing. We love you so much and we have been thinking about you and talking about you a lot over the last 24 hours. I will be praying for you and Joe and your family. Your pregnancy has been such an exciting one to follow, knowing how blessed a child would be to have you as a mother. Rylan Cade is such a wonderful name. I have noticed that our children have seemed to take on a personality that really matches their name so I'm thankful that you have given us such a rich description of the boy that we were not able to meet. I hope you are comforted by our Saviors love and the love of those around you.


Thank you for allowing us to eavesdrop upon your thoughts Nicole...this is sacred ground. Can't wait to see you guys when you get to the UK.
ReplyDelete